Environmental Health

*The Environmental Inspections Permit Office will be closed to the public Monday, April 22 through Tuesday, May 7, 2024 due to construction.  A dropbox for renewals will be located in the main lobby.  Permits will continue to be processed daily, however direct one on one customer service will not be available. Please contact 410-396-4424 for further information.*

Renew Your Food License Online Here!


  • Facilities may still send their permit renewals through the mail or appear in person at the office.
  • Waste Hauler license applications may be submitted via mail and must include a copy of the vehicle’s registration.
  • Aquatic facilities (pools & spas) may submit their renewal applications via mail.  They must include copies of pool operator certifications and lifeguards, if applicable.
  • Tattoo facilities may submit their renewal applications via mail.  They must include copies of bloodborne pathogen certification for each tattoo artist. 
  • Mailing & In-Person Address: 1001 E. Fayette St. Baltimore, MD 21202   410-396-4424
  • In-Person payment options: check or money order.  Credit and debit cards cannot be accepted at this time.


The Bureau of Environmental Health is comprised of two programs: Environmental Inspection Services and Animal Services.

Environmental Inspection Services

Services are provided to regulate facilities and to enforce the Baltimore City Health Code and applicable state and federal rules and regulations as they relate to environmental health. 

Plan Review:  The Plan Review section is the first stop for most facilities looking to obtain a license. New foodservice facilities or facilities under new ownership, including swimming pools and tattoo establishments, must submit plans and undergo an initial Plan Review inspection prior to license approval.

Food Control: This section conducts routine inspections for food service facilities and temporary food service facilities. In addition, complaint investigations for food service facilities and foodborne outbreak investigations are conducted by the Food Control staff.

Ecology: This section conducts routine inspections of tattoo establishments, swimming pools and spas, and school cafeterias. The Ecology staff also conducts complaint investigations for nuisances such as mosquitoes, odors, noise, early morning trash collection, and indoor smoking in public buildings.