How Do I Apply for a Swimming Pool License? (If Renewing, Jump to Step 5)
- Visit the plan examiner's office located at 417 E. Fayette St. to submit blueprints.
- Apply for a use and occupancy permit at the Department of Planning, also located at 417 E. Fayette Street.
- Contact the Health Department's Environmental Inspection Services to schedule an initial inspection.
- Submit completed Virginia Graeme Baker Act Compliance form. Note: This only has to be submitted once unless changes have been made to the pool, pump or anti-entrapment drain covers.
- Submit completed application and provide all current certificates:
- Pool operator training certification;
- Lifeguard training certification for the number of lifeguards required for your pool's size (see Regulations For Swimming Pools dated April 30, 2014);
- Completed Swimming Pool License Application, which includes copies of all current certifications – pool/spa operator certificate(s), CPR certificate(s), lifeguard and first aid certificate(s); and
- $455 pool license fee
- Submit completed ADA Affidavit. Swimming pool and spa applicants must submit an affidavit to document compliance with 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design; permits will not be issued without one.
- Pools generally will be inspected by the Bureau of Ecology after the license is issued. However, for public school and Department of Recreation and Parks pools, pools must be inspected prior to the license issuance.
Note: Licenses must be renewed every year.
Healthy Swimming/ Recreational Water (CDC) Fact Sheets
Pool Chemical Safety: Storage (CDC)
Pool Chemical Safety: Use (CDC)
Make a Healthy Splash! (CDC)
Diarrhea and Swimming Don't Mix 8.5x11 (CDC)
Pee and Swimming Don't Mix 8.5x11 (CDC)
Healthy Swimming/Recreational Pool Operation and Water Swimmer Hygiene (CDC)
Mail: Environmental Health, 1001 E. Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Annual Holidays:
- January 1, 2018
- January 15, 2018
- February 19, 2018
- March 30, 2018
- May 28, 2018
- July 4, 2018
- September 3, 2018
- October 8, 2018
- November 6, 2018
- November 12, 2018
- November 22, 2018
- December 25, 2018
File(s) available on this page for download requires special software to view. If you do not have that software, you can obtain it from the following source(s):
Portable Document Format (PDF): https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Word (DOC/DOCX): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4