How Do I?

How do I request health services for a community event?

To request health services for a community event fill out this form and email it to [email protected] or fax it to (410) 3961617.

Where can I dispose of unused medications in Baltimore City?

The Baltimore City Health Department encourages everyone to remember to clean out their medicine cabinets and dispose of any unused prescriptions. Use these methods to dispose of them:

  • Dispose of expired, unused, unwanted or over-the-counter medications at all Baltimore City Police Precincts. Drop boxes are available 24 hours a/day, 7 days/week
  • U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends disposing of unused prescription drugs at home by flushing them down the toilet; or
  • At your pharmacy - some pharmacies have mail-back programs and disposal kiosks for unused medicines. Ask your pharmacist for additional information. To find controlled substance disposal locations near you, click here.
How can I get a flu vaccination for my child?

The Baltimore City Health Department’s Immunization Program offers services to help prevent vaccine preventable disease, to conduct disease surveillance, and to provide and monitor immunization related health education and community outreach.  Flu vaccinations are available for underinsured and uninsured children through the TIKE program.  Click here for a more information or call 410-396-4454.

How do I report a bedbug situation?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), bed bugs do not transmit diseases. For this reason they are not considered to be a health hazard and therefore not investigated by the Health Department. If you suspect you have bed bugs you may report this by calling 311 or by accessing  Baltimore CitiTrack Service Request System online for the Department of Housing to investigate.

Additional resources regarding bedbugs:

How do I report a complaint about a mold situation?

The Health Department does not handle mold complaints. If you rent and suspect you have mold you may place a complaint through 311 for the Department of Housing to investigate the moisture intrusion (cause of the possible mold) such as a leaking roof or pipe.  If you own your home/dwelling and suspect you have mold please refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations on how to Get Rid of Mold.

Additional CDC resources for mold prevention and remediation:

Where can I get a tattoo in Baltimore?

Tattoo facilities are regulated under Baltimore City Health Code Title 13. Mobile tattoo facilities and the practice of “tattoo parties” are prohibited in the City of Baltimore. For a list of licensed tattoo facilities in Baltimore, click here.

I am uninsured or under-insured and need medical assistance? Who can help me?

HealthCare Access Maryland (HCAM) is a nonprofit agency that plays a critical role in strengthening Maryland’s health care delivery system. Working with both government and private-sector support, HCAM helps residents enroll in public health care coverage, navigate the complex health care system and connect to educational and other resources.  HCAM helps connect over 125,000 clients each year to health insurance and care and to vital community resources through a variety of programs serving the uninsured, under-insured and vulnerable populations of the state.

How can I get a copy of a Birth Certificate or Death Certificate?

The Baltimore City Health Department does not handle birth certificate or death certificates.  You can contact the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Vital Statistics Administration at 410-764-3038 or online.

How do I apply for a license for my cat or dog?

How to Apply for a Pet License

Step 1: Have your pet(s) vaccinated for rabies, and keep the rabies vaccination certificate.

Step 2: Purchase a pet license tag by going directly to:

All cats and dogs over age six months must be licensed.  Pet licensing is extremely important as a means of confirming that pets have been inoculated against Rabies.  Rabies inoculation is necessary, even for pets that remain indoors, because bats frequently gain entry to homes and are then pursued by pets, making bites likely.  Licensing helps reunite lost animals with their owners, and provides critically needed revenue to support open admission shelters, such as BARCS.

Does the Health Department license piercing establishments?

Baltimore City does not license piercing establishments.


Does Baltimore City spray for mosquitoes?

Baltimore City does not offer spraying for mosquitoes.

If you observe standing water that you believe mosquitoes are breeding in you may place a complaint using 311 for exterior standing water.

Upon investigation, if mosquito larva is observed in the water a violation notice will be issued to the property owner and if possible the water will be drained so that the larva will die. If the water cannot be drained the property owner will be given a violation notice and will have 5 days to eliminate the collection of water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. If it is not corrected within 5 days, Environmental Health will treat the collection of water with a larvacide and issue a citation to the property owner.

Please note: Exterior standing water will only be investigated between June 1 and October 31. 

How do I obtain copies of an inspection report?

To obtain a copy of an inspection report you must first make a written request under the Maryland Public Information Act (MPIA).  To simplfy this process, you may wish to use the attached form:  MD-PIA Request Form.

Submit your request to BCHD, Environmental Health at 1001 E. Fayette Street, Baltimore Maryland 21202.

Please Note: A property’s environmental history is not under the purview of BCHD. The Maryland Department of Environment (MDE) is the regulatory and lead agency for such information. Requestors should file a MPIA request directly with MDE for information pertaining to underground or aboveground storage tanks, chemical spills or releases, hazardous material storage or spills, soil contamination, ground water quality, surface water quality, etc.


Does my swimming pool or spa require a lifeguard?

Recreational Pools:  

  • Requires at least one lifeguard on duty on the deck observing the pool while an individual is in the pool. 
  • There is to be 1 lifeguard on duty on the deck if there is 1 to 30 individuals within the pool enclosure,
  • An additional lifeguard must be on duty for each additional group of 50 or fraction thereof.

Limited Public-Use Pools: 

  • If an organized group, agency, or other person using a limited public-use pool for swimming lessons or water safety training there must be a lifeguard on duty on the deck for each 25 bathers or fraction of 25 bathers if the pool:
    • is more than 3 1/2 feet in depth at the shallow end of the swimming area,
    • has an area more than 5 feet in depth at the deepest point,
    • does not have a rescue pole that can be practically used to reach beyond the midpoint of the pool, or an obstruction, such as a wall or tall fencing, exits within the pool enclosure that restricts the use of the pole, or
    • has a diving board, a sliding board, or recreational play equipment that is not blocked off to restrict use.

Private Pool/Spa:  

  • No lifeguard required.

Semipublic Pool/Spa: 

  • At least one lifeguard is required on duty on the deck if the semipublic pool has a water surface area greater than 2,500 square feet or that is part of a multiple pool facility within one enclosure that has a combined water surface area greater than 2,500 square feet 
  • There is to be 1 lifeguard on duty and on the deck in the ratio of one guard per 50 individuals in the water.
How do I apply for a noise exemption for an event?

If you intend to use sound amplification equipment on Baltimore City Property (streets, parks, etc.), or if your event is on private property but is open to the public, you may be required to obtain a Temporary Noise Exemption to operate sound amplification equipment in Baltimore City. 

If you are planning a private event and you believe you may exceed permissible sound levels and disturb other members of the community, you may wish to request a Temporary Exemption from the Baltimore City Health Commissioner by completing the Temporary Exemption Form 9-209.

If you are a commercial, political, civic, charitable or other organization planning a public event such as a fundraiser, carnival, bazaar, meeting or special event and you believe you may violate noise restrictions and disturb other members of the community, you may wish to request a Temporary Exemption from the Baltimore City Health Commissioner by completing the Temporary Exemption Form 9-303.

To request the Temporary Exemption, you must provide the Commissioner of Health information concerning the event and its impact on the surrounding area and you must obtain documents evidencing community support of your event. Letters of support from adjacent residences or from the Community Association for the area are good examples of community support.

City agency
Baltimore City Health Department